- 3 cups chopped and cooked vegan chicken*
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 4 (6-inch) pitas
- 8 red leaf lettuce leaves
2. Cut each pita in half, and line each half with a lettuce leaf.
3. Spoon about 1/2 cup chicken mixture into each pita half.
I recommend serving with a couscous salad: toss whole wheat couscous with crumbled vegan feta cheese, chopped tomatoes, and chopped cucumber.
Or, the pitas are also nice with a refreshing salad of mixed fresh fruit:
For dessert tonight, I intended to pick up a package of Fig Newman's, assuming they were vegan. A quick ingredient scan revealed - alas! - no. Luckily, on the next shelf over were Barbara's fig cookies, 100% vegan and satisfying my craving, a nice little discovery.
*Cook the chicken according to package directions ahead of time, then chop into bite-sized pieces and proceed with the recipe.
4 servings (2 pita halves), Calories 363
A great combination of spicy curry and sweet chutney coated the chicken. I would just amp up all the flavors here a bit more next time - more raisins and celery, and more curry powder especially. I'd like to try warming up the pita next time too, as I think that would make these even better. These pitas would definitely make a great picnic sandwich.