Thursday, August 29, 2013

Stewed Okra and Tomatoes

I had fun making southern black-eyed peas about a week ago, and thought I'd continue the theme this evening with okra, a decidedly southern vegetable.

Ingredients:
  • 1 teaspoon canola oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 4 cups trimmed okra pods
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon vegan sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 (14.5-ounce) undrained can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
1. Heat the canola oil in a saucepan over medium heat.  Add the onion and saute for 2 minutes.

2. Add the okra, water, sugar, salt, black pepper, and tomatoes.  Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.


I rounded out the meal with mac and cheese (made with Daiya) and black-eyed peas.


Nutrition Info:
4 servings (1 cup), Calories 72

Tasting Notes:
Not quite as I hoped. For one thing, I would definitely slice the okra into rounds next time, and cook that way, and I also thought the mixture was too soupy; simmer with the lid off so that some liquid can evaporate, and I think you'll wind up with a better final product. In terms of seasonings, there was too much black pepper, but not enough other spices - thyme or a similar herb might have been nice in here. I'd stir black-eyed peas directly into the pot next time too, for a heartier one dish meal, and then this would have been a real keeper.

Rating: 
3

No comments:

Post a Comment