Thursday, November 10, 2011

Roasted Cauliflower

It's that time of year again to start cooking with the root vegetables of winter. Dijon mustard is the secret ingredient in this dish.

Ingredients:
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 2 medium onions
  • 5 garlic cloves
  • 4 cups cauliflower florets
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Cut the onions into quarters and halve the garlic cloves; add to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until browned.

3. Transfer the onion mixture to a roasting pan coated with cooking spray, along with the cauliflower florets.  In a bowl, whisk together the water and mustard in a small bowl


4. Pour the mustard mixture over the cauliflower mixture, and toss to coat.  Sprinkle with the salt and black pepper.


5. Bake at 500 degrees for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally - the vegetables should be golden brown by the end.  Sprinkle with the parsley for a pop of fresh color and taste.

I enjoyed this dish alongside Match pork and applesauce, or it would also be great with a whole grain entree salad (try any of your favorite whole grains, such as rye berries, wheat berries, or barley). 


Nutrition Info:
4 servings (1 cup), Calories 94 

Tasting Notes:
The cauliflower had a nice and tender roasted taste and texture, and I love garlic when it becomes super sweet after roasting in this way.  The subtle hint of Dijon is definitely a pleasant twist, but I would double the water/mustard mixture next time, to fully coat all of the vegetables.  I also might leave out the onions entirely - although tender and sweet, they weren't as much to my liking as the cauliflower and garlic.

Rating:
3

Vegan Extra:
As a side tale about tonight's recipe, I realized I needed to buy a roasting pan.  So I wandered to my neighborhood Home Goods, totally forgetting that roasting pans are being spotlighted right now, for the sad event of a turkey on nearly every American Thanksgiving table.  Needless to say, I felt awful purchasing the roasting pan, since the cashier no doubt assumed I was going to use it for a bird.  I wanted to shout out to anyone who would listen that mine was for vegetables, and vegetables only! I'm pleased to say there will be no turkeys ever roasting in this piece of stainless steel.


No comments:

Post a Comment